Betes Girl

My name is Lacey and obviously yes, I have diabetes. Up until now I have been very quiet about my diabetes in the virtual world, I do not post about in on facebook and sometimes dislike even talking about it. I am not looking for anyone to feel sorry for me or think diabetes defines who I am, it is simply a part of who I am. My goal with this blog is to show how I live as a 24yr old type1 diabetic. This does not mean this is how all people live with their diabetes, just me. Most importantly I have learned talking about all of the ups and downs helps and is somewhat therapeutic.

Friday, March 16, 2012

Diabetes Living

So year 1 with diabetes I was very much in denial.  However it did not affect my life as much as it does so now.  Also my pancreas was in a "honeymoon" phase.  They say with type 1 diabetics as soon as you start any type of treatment that your pancreas decides to start back up and work normally producing insulin for a little amount of time.  They say this can last anywhere from 3 months to 3 years mine decided to last maybe 1 month.  Last fall while in Walgreens I came across the magazine "Diabetic Living"  after glancing at it for a few seconds I decided it looked like a good one I would just go ahead and purchase.  I was still very shy about my diabetes and threw it on the counter with some other stuff, you would have thought I was buying tampons or something, I just still didn't want to admit to the world that I had this disease let alone myself.  I instantly liked the magazine and bought a subscription.



They have a section that asks you to submit personal tips and ideas and I decided I would go ahead and submit mine.  Months went by and I actually forgot about it all.  Just a couple months ago I received an email stating they wanted to publish my tip in the magazine and pay me $25 for it.  Not much but 25 dollars is 25 dollars.  I figured I would be in the fall issue and was looking forward to reading it eventually.  The Spring issue came out in late February and I didnt think much about it.  I let it sit in my room for a couple weeks until one night at work when I had time I decided to read my magazine.  There it was in print my tip and name!  I was excited and very surprised!  Hopefully my tip can help others, I know I have valued other people's tips in the magazine as well.  So here it is...

No comments:

Post a Comment