Betes Girl

My name is Lacey and obviously yes, I have diabetes. Up until now I have been very quiet about my diabetes in the virtual world, I do not post about in on facebook and sometimes dislike even talking about it. I am not looking for anyone to feel sorry for me or think diabetes defines who I am, it is simply a part of who I am. My goal with this blog is to show how I live as a 24yr old type1 diabetic. This does not mean this is how all people live with their diabetes, just me. Most importantly I have learned talking about all of the ups and downs helps and is somewhat therapeutic.

Monday, March 12, 2012

A Movie Date with Little Large Rants!

As I said before I have found dating and diabetes sometimes do not come hand in hand.  We had planned a small date to Pratt which is 30 minutes from my hometown to go to dinner and a movie.  However Saturday night I tried everything to get rid of this agonizing headache that just would not go away therefore we decided we would post pone our date till Sunday afternoon and go to the matinee.  What movie might be we going to see?  The Vow... of course Russell was less than thrilled but willing to take me!  


Before leaving I have to go through my usual mental list of what all I cannot forget to take with me.  I am a girly girl and change purses a lot therefore my medicines are not always in the same location. 
1) Glucometer
2) Insulins
3) Needles
4) Test Strips
5) Glucagel for the occasional lows
I have a pink bag that carries multiple little handy everyday things that I may need.  I was almost out of test strips so I had to grab another bottle before leaving.  I always take the gel with me when I am driving because you never know when I may drop and I haven't had to use it yet. 


We get to the theatre and get our tickets and then comes the snack bar!  As a child this was the highlight of the movies, the candy, soda and popcorn. Now it takes a minute to look at what may be diabetic friendly.  I hate diet Pepsi and it was the only diet soda they had so I went with an unsweetened tea.  Russell decided on a regular soda and small popcorn. 
 I was actually excited that we were going to an afternoon movie.  During evening movies at 8pm I have to take a shot and a pill therefore not having to constantly look at a clock during the first part of the movie was so much more enjoyable.
I can honestly say this was not my favorite Nicholas Spark's movie by far, it was actually very depressing.  During the movie there was a scene where Leo played by Channing Tateum was trying to win back his wife Page played by Rachel McAdams, they were at a cute little coffee shop and he was making her try different chocolates.  Even though yes I have diabetes doesn't mean I don't enjoy a good piece of chocolate I am just not able to enjoy an entire box of them.  As she is eating the chocolates she makes the comment "are you trying to make me a diabetic or just fat?" Instantly I was irritated and mildly  upset.  I didn't say a word I just sat there with a knot in my stomach.  Russell instantly grabbed my hand and squeezed it just a little bit tighter.  This gesture alone meant the world to me, with no words or even a reaction he knew exactly how to make me feel somewhat better. 
Let me start off my little rant by saying EATING CHOCOLATES DOES NOT GIVE YOU DIABETES!! I did not get this god given disease by eating 30 candy bars or an entire box of chocolates.  Due to the fact that I have diabetes means I cannot eat that many sweets at one time, I see where the narrow minded people of the world could get that confused.  I must say two years ago I would not have found the movie line as irritating but still would not have found the humor in it either.  

I saw a "Math Problem" on pinterest that stated "If John has 32 candy bars and eats 28, what does he have now?  The answer one would think is 4, he would have 4 candy bars however their answer was not 4 it was "Diabetes, John has Diabetes"  This image literally stuck with me for DAYS!  Next thing I knew I saw it on a friend's facebook page and multiple people were "liking" it.  It made me feel terrible at first that so many people would think this is how you get diabetes then finally I realized it was not their fault for their lack of knowledge when it comes to this disease.  Hell I would never eat another candy bar again if I knew it had caused me to have this disease but it did not.  I would love for every person that "liked" that image to live just one day in my shoes.  A day of giving yourself shots, analyzing everything that goes in your mouth and lets not forget the fun part of poking your finger multiple times a day and that is just to name a few. 


     Part of me feels hypocritical with these last few statements.  Would I have even noticed the line in the movie if I hadn't obtained this disease in the last year and a half? I am sure there are other illnesses in the past that I have joked about with people and this disease has made me more aware of those punch lines that literally do punch and I am so sorry.  All I ask is that before you make a facebook post or use a pinterest image about such a subject- think, think of what it is saying and what you know about it, think about who you could possibly hurt if anyone from the post and maybe do some research to see if what you are posting is a fact and not a joke. I am not saying I am perfect by all means I am far from but I have learned from the stings of other people's "funny posts" and it wasn't fun. 
Well that was supposed to be a small rant that as usual with me ended up very long! 

No comments:

Post a Comment