Betes Girl

My name is Lacey and obviously yes, I have diabetes. Up until now I have been very quiet about my diabetes in the virtual world, I do not post about in on facebook and sometimes dislike even talking about it. I am not looking for anyone to feel sorry for me or think diabetes defines who I am, it is simply a part of who I am. My goal with this blog is to show how I live as a 24yr old type1 diabetic. This does not mean this is how all people live with their diabetes, just me. Most importantly I have learned talking about all of the ups and downs helps and is somewhat therapeutic.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Kim Kardashian

First of all, I know I have oh so much to catch up on in the months since I have blogged.  I have been writing what seems like a novel in my "pages" on my macbook pro.  A few of the big things that have happened in my diabetic life would be-Yes, I finally got a approved for a pump, I took my classes for the pump and am now officially pumping!  I also got a CGM which has been very interesting to say the least... those stories are coming... soon!  However today, I just have to write a short little blog about Kim Kardashian. :)

Okay, okay so I will admit it, I do watch "Keeping Up with the Kardashians" and am a fan.  I was watching the season finale, well catching up on it the other day and Kim has made the decision to freeze her eggs, therefore she has to take hormone injections.  I seriously about fell over watching her try to give herself an injection in her abdomen.  Her first try, she barely gets the needle in and yanks it right out.  Her mom- Kris is there to assist her and they both looked very professional wearing gloves and everything.  Another attempt was when her mom tries to just throw the needle in her stomach and ends up hitting Kim's finger.  I am about to flippin' lose it at this point due to the humor I see in all of this.  Finally what I saw a 3rd time was the charm and she finally was able to insert the injection.

Lucky Kim! Yeah it would suck to have to give yourself hormone injections for a couple weeks or months but try giving yourself multiple, multiple injections everyday for the rest of your life? Before I switched to the pump, I was giving myself a minimum of 12-16 shots daily or more.  Sometimes, I would skip shots due to being on a date and not wanting the guy to see me inject literally every flippin' hour.  They burned, took up tons of time, and were inconvenient but... they were necessary for life.  In all honesty, I am glad they showed how painful and not fun an injection can be, for five minutes the world was able to see moments we as diabetics have gone through daily for years.  In no way am I anti-Kardashian, I just found the humor in this scene which I think many other people probably did as well.


I wish I had a video clip of this for everyone to enjoy but all I was able to find would be a picture that really is worth a thousand words.  




1 comment:

  1. Okay so I totally watch the Kardashians too! And LOVED this episode because we can totally relate! hahaha. Just recently saw that you've updated some. Excited to read about your new pump!! I actually just made the switch too but went with the omnipod. LOVE!

    ReplyDelete